Thursday, January 13, 2011

ALA Book Awards

This past Monday ALA announced the book award winners at the winter conference. Any parent, teacher or student looking for a great read should start with the ALA book awards lists. When starting my profession I tried for several years to reinvent the wheel, looking for the freshest, newest reads that were going to suck in teens and hook them on reading forever. A lot of time and energy was put into the process. When I became successful in this endeavor is when I stopped trying to do it on my own. As a fellow librarian said to me, "They win awards for a reason". Indeed.

At the high school level my favorite award is the Alex Award. The award is given to 10 adult titles published in the last year that are appealing to young adults. They are great reads for teens or adults. My only disappointment this year is that there aren't any sports titles. Past sports titles include Blindside: the Evolution of a game and Eagle Blue. To view the list of this year's award winners, and to see titles of previous winners, go to the following link: Alex Award

No comments: